The Starbucks Workers Union (SWU) is an organization of workers coming together for fair pay, access to full-time work, one month notice for schedules and a safe work place where we are respected. The Starbucks Workers Union is a branch of the Industral Workers of the World Union (IWW), a democratic union run by workers for all workers.
Who we are:
- The IWW is a democratic union led by the membership. That means we, the workers, make all decisions and have the final say.
- The IWW is organized by industry, rather than by trades, and follows a Solidarity Unionism model.
- The IWW is flexible and uses creative ideas to achieve our goals. We don’t rely on contracts and National Labor Relations Board elections.
- Workers use direct action on the job and solidarity with coworkers to protect eachother and make our jobs better.
- The IWW is open to all workers who do not have the power to hire and fire, regardless of employment status.
- Wobblies live by the motto “an injury to one is an injury to all.”
What we are not:
- The IWW is not linked to any political party or group.
- The IWW is not led by high salary union bosses who cut secret deals with the bosses behind your back.
- The IWW is not stifled by union bureaucracy or top-down leadership.
Our decision making model:
- We are directly democratic, meaning all members in good standing have a say in branch decisions.